Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Monday, December 12, 2011

Charcoal on Paper

This is my new studio. It was an old textile factory converted into artist's loft's. I love this new space because I can finally make bigger things. These are my 2 new pieces.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Crank Organ Music

After a week of re-learning music theory I punched out some music for my organ. I built a few tools so I can measure everything to scale. It was fun seeing music made with holes on paper. The paper had to be cut exactly 5 1/2 inches wide, and the length is based on how long the song is. For every second of music, 70mm of paper is needed.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dummy Restoration 2

This is a Paul Winchell, Jerry Mahoney, Semi-Pro ventriloquist dummy. I was asked to restore him from a magician friend Vanishing Vinny. He has a great trick he's doing that requires a very classy looking dummy.For the restoration we came up with a fair barter. He would design for me some important promotional material I needed for an upcoming magic show, and I would restore the dummy for his magic show. I accepted the challenge and it took me about 2 full days of work to finish.The original clothes were stained, torn, and stinky! the creepy part was that their were sweat stains on his collar.Anyway, I took apart his clothes piece by piece and slowly replicated his outfit. He works great!

Dummy Restoration

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Monkey Makeover

My organ is finished but I have no monkey! I searched online for the perfect mechanical monkey and came across a toy that was made in the 50's and 60's. The toy was rusted and broken. I replaced a broken motor and sewed a new pair of pants. The monkey interacts with the organ because of an Arduino microcontroller. I also used the guts of an old voice changer toy. The mic from the toy is now used as a sensor to detect a certain level of sound, which
activates the monkey to turn on. Everything is nicely fitted into a small canvas backpack I made. I am excited to test this guy out!!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

my handcrafted Busker Street-Style Organ complete


My handcrafted Busker Street-Style Organ Pt 2

Here are more photos

My handcrafted Busker Street-Style Organ

This is an organ built by the John Smith Busker Organ plans. This organ took me five weeks to make. I spent early mornings and late nights through the month of June and the last week of May. It was the most challenging thing I have ever Built. Worth every moment!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Hand Carved Chess Set

This chess set was carved using oak. I stained one set of pieces with a dark walnut stain. The board was outlined with a wood burning pen. Dark stain was applied to half the squares, and the whole thing was then sealed with Mod Podge. I nailed leather to the bottom of each piece and sewed a small pillow to hold everything in place within the box, which was also handcrafted. I love this chess set. I now need challengers for some chess and wine!